Lake Gogebic Trail Report
Temps on this Tuesday are cold with a balmy -17 below this morning. The good news (and there’s always good news) is that the Lake Gogebic area
trails are firming up nicely. We’ve received a couple inches over Christmas, there’s snow in the forecast for at least the next 5 days, and John Dee’s forecast calls for 12-24” between Dec 31 and Jan 4. Don’t want to jinx ourselves – so not going to make any predictions on our upcoming season 😊😊😊. Just do want to say a sincere thank you to the Gogebic Area Grooming team and all the volunteers who have showed up to help get trails in order. We’ve had some challenges as a result of logging operations, but crews have been out tirelessly in this weather working on the re-routes. We should have a map uploaded in the next day – so please check back.
Jim and Anthony went out today and reported that Trail 1 and South Boundary are freshly groomed and in good shape. With the re-routes – it’s best to stay Bergland and North.
- Trail 13 north towards Rockland, Trail 1 north to White Pine and trail 8 East to Ewen are all reported to be in good condition.
- Trail 13 North of the Root Cellar is closed due to logging. Riders will have to run E. Shore Rd. up to where Trail 13 comes into Trail 8.
- Trail 100 on the bottom of Lake Gogebic is closed for the 2017-2018 season due to logging we are hoping it will reopen next season.
- Trail 1 South of West Shore Resort to Marenisco is open and has been packed, but needs more snow to groom.
- Trail 1 south from Marenisco to Presque Isle is open and has been packed but need more snow.
- Trail 13 south of the Root Cellar needs to be brushed.
- Use caution on the lake – check conditions before heading out.
It’s going to be cold this weekend and it’s going to be busy so be prepared and be safe. Keep your tank topped off, especially heading out on one of our longer trails, dress in layers, cover any exposed skin to protect against frostbite. If you are staying at the lodge – it’s a good idea to let us know what your route may look like for the day. You can pick up a trail bandana at many local area businesses and they identify all local places where you can get gas.
We look forward to seeing all of you this weekend and spending the New Years Eve weekend with us!
We had a cancellation in the Bear’s Den – it’s a great place for a group! Give us a call at 906-575-3557
Jim & Mary Beth
Jim and Anthony