Good morning and Merry Christmas as we close in on the last few days before Christmas. We had sledders in and around the Lake Gogebic area last weekend and the reports ranged from “good” to “do you know where I can wash my sled?”
Cold temperatures and snow are what’s really needed right now to take our conditions from “poor” to “good”.
Weather forecast shows temps dropping below zero so make sure you are packing those base layers in with your gear. The forecast is looking favorable and we are banking on the freezing cold to do its job. It’s currently snowing and has been all morning, and there’s snow in the forecast most every day over the next 10 days. Additionally, John Dee’s forecast is calling for 12-24” of snow between December 24-29th.
Groomers have been out and will continue to be out on the trails daily. We have two re-routes which we hope to have wrapped up by Christmas. There is signage out on the trails and we’ll post a map in a couple of days.
Current trail conditions are as follow:
- Trail 1 North to White Pine is reported to be in Good condition.
- Trail 13 North to Rockland is also reported as good and no major issues.
- Trail 1 North on the West Side of Lake Gogebic is temporarily closed.
- Trail 13 on the East side of Lake Gogebic is temporarily closed on the North portion and East Shore Road is being used as the temporary bypass.
- Trail 13 on the South end of the lake is temporarily closed as they are backfilling today and hope to have the trail open by the weekend.
- Trail 8 to Wakefield has very deep water holes and not recommended for riding until after Christmas when the water holes have had an opportunity to freeze up.
- 102 North – has a large hole that is also getting fixed today – use caution!
- Trail 8 East to Ewen is in fair condition with marginal snow.
Overall – the Lake Gogebic Area trails are reporting Poor Conditions until we get more cold temps to freeze up our swamps.
Ice Fishermen are out on the North end of the lake. Check for conditions before heading out.
Two areas experienced challenges due to conditions created by unforeseen logging and we are working on correcting these re-routes. While we are dependent upon cold weather and snow right now – we remain confident that me will have our trails groomed and operational by Christmas.
Rooms are filling fast – give us a call as we are getting sold out on weekends. WE JUST HAD A CANCELLATION IN THE BEARS DEN OVER CHRISTMAS WEEK and therefore have one opening!
Jim & Mary Beth – 906-575-3557